This privacy notice sets out the way we process your personal information and we’ve created this privacy notice to make sure you are aware of how we use your data when purchasing a ticket or an Annual Pass or attending an event at Burghley. We will always refer to this notice when we ask for your consent and we’ll keep this notice updated so that you can be confident when sharing your information with us that it will only be used for what we describe here.
Burghley House Preservation Trust Limited (“BHPT Ltd”), Burghley Estate Office, 61 St Martins, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 2LQ is a limited company registered in England and Wales (no. 951524) and a charity. Charity registration no. 258489. BHPT Ltd is the ‘data controller’ of your personal data and is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”). BHPT Ltd is registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number Z6132206.
How we collect your information
We may collect your information in a few ways, namely:
- Directly from you in person when you purchase a ticket or an Annual Pass for admission to Burghley House and Gardens at one of our ticket points.
- When you fill in your details online on our website to obtain a ticket or an Annual Pass admission to Burghley House and Gardens.
- From someone else who has bought a ticket or an Annual Pass on your behalf, or issued you with an invitation to attend an event (for example, a friend or family member who has provided us with your details for that purpose).
- When you fill in your details to receive our newsletter, or information about specific events.
We use barcodes or QR codes on our Annual Pass to collect information on your visits. This data includes the date you visited and your membership number. We use this information to verify access for future visits, understand visiting trends and to make our communications with you more relevant.
The types of information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal data about you (and your family members, where relevant):-
- Contact and communications information, including your contact details (including email addresses, telephone numbers and postal addresses) and records of communications and interactions we have had with you;
- Financial information, including Direct Debit details (but not your payment card details, which we never collect or store ourselves since we always use a third party “payment gateway” to process card payments);
- Photographic image (for example for an Annual Pass)
- Certain other information which you volunteer when making use of your membership benefits (for example, attending Burghley events).
- Certain other limited data concerning your health or medical conditions, where you have volunteered this, for example so that we can cater for your access requirements when you attend a Burghley event.
How we use personal information
Personal information provided to us will be used for the purposes outlined at the time of collection or application in accordance with the preferences you express.
Personal data collected and processed by us may be used for the following purposes:-
- Administration of membership;
- Fulfilment of orders for goods and services;
- Telling you about products, services or promotions we believe to be relevant and of interest to you from our subsidiary companies (Burghley Enterprises Ltd and Burghley Horse Trials Ltd) or our partners at Burghley (Absolute Taste and Hillbrooke Hotels).
- Notification to HMRC for Gift Aid (where a Gift Aid declaration has been made)
where this is necessary for the performance of a contract (including the Terms of Membership) with you.
- Research and statistical analysis;
- Communication about our work, membership, and other activities we think may be of interest to you;
- Administration of donations and legacies;
where this is necessary for our legitimate interests.
- Tailoring our messages to our potential and existing visitors and supporters to ensure all marketing communications you receive from us are relevant;
where this is necessary for our legitimate interests, and where we send marketing communications by electronic means, where we have your consent to do so.
Your marketing preferences
Burghley will always act upon your wishes in respect of what type of communications you want to receive and how you want to receive them. There are some communications, however, that we need to send you regardless of your marketing preferences. These are what we would describe as essential communications to fulfil our contractual obligations to you as a visitor or Friend of Burghley. Examples of this kind of communication would be:
- Transaction notifications, such as payment receipts.
- Membership related mailings such as your renewal reminder or invitations to special events.
You are always in control of how we communicate with you. You can update your choices and/or your contact details by contacting us at:
Telephone: 01780 752451
Post: Burghley House, Stamford, PE9 3JY
Sharing your information with others
We do not share your personal information to other organisations to use other than as set out below.
Personal data collected and processed by us may be shared with the following groups where necessary:-
- Burghley employees, for the purposes of administering membership and giving you access to the full range of membership benefits to which you are entitled.
- HMRC (where a Gift Aid declaration has been made)
- Also, under strict obligations of confidentiality, with other appropriate contractual protections in place:-
- Vennersys Venpos ticketing system
- Ocius Sentinel Credit card Processing system
- Pay360 online credit card processing system
When we allow such third parties access to your information, it will always be under strict assurances that they will only process your data for the purposes for which it was originally collected.
How long your information is kept
We hold your information only as long as necessary for each purpose we use it.
For most membership data, this means we retain it for as long as you have an Annual Pass and then store it for a period of six years after your last interaction with us for accounting, tax reporting and record-keeping purposes.
For marketing purposes, it is our policy to retain your details for up to 2 years after the purchase of a visitors or event ticket or Annual Pass, or when registering to receive our newsletter. After which time, your details will be stored (as detailed above) but no longer processed.
You have a number of rights regarding your data, including the following:-
You have the right to ask us, in writing, for a copy of all the personal data held about you (this is known as a Subject Access Request). A copy will be sent to you as soon as possible and this will be no later than one month after your request.
You have the right to require us to correct the personal data we hold on you if it is inaccurate.
You have the right to request that we erase your personal data.
You have the right to request that we restrict our data processing activities (and, where our processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time).
You have the right to receive from us the personal data we hold about you which you have provided to us, in a reasonable format specified by you, including for the purpose of transmitting that personal data to another data controller.
You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply: for example, if we can show our processing is necessary for a lawful purpose set out in this Privacy Notice.
Updating and amending your personal information
We will always try to keep your data as up-to-date as possible. If at any time you want to update or amend your personal data or marketing preferences then you can do so by contacting us at:
Telephone: 01780 752451
Post: Burghley House, Stamford PE9 3JY
The verification, updating or amendment of personal data will take place within 28 days of receipt of your request.
We use tracking cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and no personally identifiable information is stored.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites or services. You should note that we are in no way responsible for the content or privacy policies these websites / services may have in place and advise that you use caution and refer to these websites own privacy statements and terms.
Contact and complaints
If you have any queries about this Privacy Notice or how we process your personal information, or if you wish to exercise your rights under applicable law, you may contact us by:
Telephone: 01780 752451
Post: Burghley House, Stamford PE9 3JY
You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection legislation from the ICO website at www.ico.org.uk